Monday, February 2, 2015

Words of Truth

Once upon a time, I was a cheerleader.

It was the one thing I could do well, I loved it. I studied it, craved it. My senior year I learned a life long lesson. Seventeen years later I still think of it often.

That year, 1997-1998, was supposed to by MY year. I had paid my dues, put in my time, and worked hard. Was ready to take my team to the next level!

 New coach, new rules, new team mates.

We had worked together all summer leading into school, ran many miles, lifted many weights (YES cheerleaders lift weights), and attended several camps, we were ready to start off right. It was time to elect leadership. Names were put into a hat and the outcome was decided quickly.

Names were announced, congratulations extended and dreams were crushed as I found out it was not going to be "my" year as I had expected. I would love to share the part about me being a good sport, but I can't. I was teary and sad. I was a "leader," everyone said so,  wasn't I supposed to be the Captain or even the Co-Captain?

Amid my tears, Coach Linda, who was the epitome of tough love, sat me down and spoke these words of truth,

"You don't need the title, to be a leader."

Boom.

That sentence changed my entire perspective. With that sentence, I could still use my God-given abilities to lead by example, encouraging and supporting my coach and teammates (with exception of a hair cutting debacle) and share my ideas in confidence. It challenged me to be the best I could be. With a great team, we went on that year to place in the state competition for the first time in the history of our high school, also moving on to compete in the national competition. It was an unexpected year indeed.

Friends, I write this to you as an encouragement. Have you been passed up for a promotion you thought you deserved? Are you missing a piece of paper on your wall that leaves a gaping hole for insecurities to sweep in and steal joy? You are good enough. You always have a choice. 

Don't wait for someone to tell you can do something or your not qualified enough, don't wait for a "title" that says you can,  just go and do what God made you to do.

What is holding you back right now?

Go! Lead, Dance, Influence, Sing, Care, Serve, Give!

No comments:

Post a Comment