Tuesday, September 7, 2010

To Tell the Truth



Saturday morning was a rare instance in this house. My loving husband took the kids off to a sporting event for a couple hours, this left the quiet house and my coffee cup all to myself.

I wondered if he expected me to clean. I didn't. I watched a "Say Yes to the Dress" marathon. Productive, I know.

Soon, my sweet children and husband returned with lunch in hand. And this truthful story began to unfold over cold fries, and rubbery nuggets.
I had noticed that my lil punkin Dillon had a red "Kool-Aid" smile, so of course the question was asked if he had Gatorade to drink. Below is the transcription of the conversation that ensued:

Me: Did you have a red Gatorade Dillon?

Dillon: Yep, and I drank it all (he was very proud, we have been talking a lot about wasting food, etc)

Kasey: It was someone else's...I told him not to do it.

At this point in time, I am focused on Mitch's face, who I assumed was watching them like a hawk...he had NO idea about the Gatorade. This was disgusting, I wanted to scrub his little lips and mouth with a toothbrush...who KNEW what cooties he had caught from a stranger's drink. But I knew there wasn't a thing to be done. So we dropped it and continued with lunch.

A couple minutes later, I couldn't help myself, I needed details of the event. So as to instruct the children on what NOT to do next time.

Me: So, Dillon, you just picked up the bottle off the table and drank it?

Kasey: No! It was on top of the drink machine.
Dillon: (nods head agreeing)

SHOCK AND DISBELIEF I can't believe what I am hearing.

Dillon: We climbed up a stack of chairs and got it. It was fun!
Kasey: I told him not to do it...

Me (staring at Dad who is dying...): So you saw a drink on top of the machine, climbed up a stack of chairs and got it?

Dillon and Kasey : Yep, well Shane Hays (his buddy) got it, and Dillon drank it.

Me: Kasey, this would have been a good time to go and tattle tale to Dad. Since he had no idea what was going on.

Mitch is trying hard not to laugh, I am trying hard not to kill him and die laughing myself. They were so pure and innocent in the telling of the story...no idea of the "What Could Have Happened." I said a little prayer of thanks that my son's ever faithful Guardian Angel was working overtime.

Kids...they never lie, and my husband learned his lesson to never trust his kids alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment