Friday, September 24, 2010

The One Upper...



Sorry friends it has taken me over a week to update...I have been a little under the weather with a nasty sinus infection, but I think we are over it now and back to normal...well as normal as it gets around here!

The first week of school, Mitch and I decided we would start a Friday lunch date with Kasey. Whoever was off would take her something special, ie not a packed lunch. So, the first week, Dillon and I were up...and had asked Kasey what she wanted to eat. All she wanted to eat cafeteria food. If you will recall, she lost her first tooth that week, and wanted nothing more than to spend her precious $1 on school lunch. Reluctantly, I agreed, we would have school lunch for our first official lunch date.

As we got there and were waiting, I started noticing all these other moms and dads walking in with cheeseburgers, Fazolis, Subway, and Sonic, I started to doubt my parenting, but I knew what was going on. I have been in plenty of business meetings where someone else was more prepared than I, but it only happens a handful of times before you learn. We were lining up in line for school lunch while other moms and dads paraded in with "the good stuff." I will give the schools major credit for trying, I saw some great options. They had grapes, yogurt, BAKED chips, and 3 different kinds of milk. We gathered our Styrofoam trays and enjoyed our Salisbury Steak (aka hamburger patty with gravy) and green beans...after all it was all about spending time with Kasey. That day was an educational one.

Since that first day we have done the Subway, Sonic, and Fazolis. Last week, at Kasey's request, as always, we stopped in to Pei Wei. Pei Wei is the the kids favorite! Its always the destination of choice when asked where to go. We don't see Pei Wei as fancy or pretentious at all, in fact, our three meals was about the same price of 3 meals at McDonald's. So no thoughts about it...

When we walked in with our Pei Wei, we were the cool kids, in the cafeteria...the teachers wanted to share, even the principal wanted to share.

Today, was dad's turn to lunch with Kasey...the request today was Chick-fil-a. So about 5 minutes into the lunch hour, I get a text from Mitch. Here is how it read:
"Some Mom is here trying to one up everyone by bringing Logan's Roadhouse!'


I had to laugh, we had been one upped. By the way, who even knew there were such cafeteria politics? Ah, well, we live and learn. Next week, I guess I'll have to call in the private chef to cook in front of the whole cafeteria.

2 comments:

  1. LOL!! Isn't this the truth with everything!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. get an off-duty chef from kabuki to bring up his grill & cook at the table! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete